We are seeking a CG Character Modeller and Rigger to join the team here at Thud Media in the New Year. We have a couple of projects that require someone with experience in getting game ready characters modelled and prepped for animation – the target being Unity in this case, although Unreal is also in use.
The perfect artist for this role will have worked on released games full of character work (cartoon aesthetic) and be technically proficient in rigging best practise for game engine implementation. This is a great opportunity to be a part of our busy, close-knit team working in-house at our central Cardiff studio.
Responsibilities and duties
- Modelling characters based on 3D reference/2D turnarounds to a high standard
- Match existing art style with efficient use of tris
- Rigging and skinning characters to meet animation requirements
- Revise and optimise existing assets
- Troubleshoot and fix rig issues, collect artistic feedback and fine tune rig behaviour
- Take on technical challenges, work with initiative and to schedule milestones
- Rigging demo reel that showcases aspects of the job spec
- In-depth knowledge and technical proficiency in using Autodesk Maya
- Demonstrate a clear knowledge of current art pipelines for character creation
- Knowledge of Unity’s character tools for rig performance testing
- Texturing ability – Photoshop/Substance
- Have worked at least 1 shipped title with Unity
- Team development experience
- Proactive; able to solve issues effectively
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Have worked on commercially released game titles
- Sound understanding of animation principles and processes
- Experienced in writing scripts, preferably with Python, to automate processes and support the animation
- Discipline relevant Degree level training
- Experience with non-Unity game engines (UE4 etc.)
- Experience using other common art and 3D software packages (Zbrush, Blender…)
- No telecommuting (in-house role)
- No agencies please
- 4 month contract (with potential for extension)
How to Apply
Email your application over to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: 3D Character Artist
Please include attachments or links to your latest and greatest work: CV, portfolio, examples of code/app work, Github, itch.io, etc.
If not from the EU, candidates must have a full work Visa in place for the entirety of the contract.